Författare Ämne: Together Through Life  (läst 165146 gånger)

Utloggad Tobias

• Precious Angel
  • Antal inlägg: 6016
    • Visa profil
    • Last.fm
    • E-post
SV: Together Through Life
« Svar #105 skrivet: 28 mars, 2009, 13:17:48 »
Ännu en tidig recension:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/03/snap-judgment-b.html
Citera
Snap Judgment: Bob Dylan's 'Together Through Life'
01:35 PM PT, Mar 27 2009

Bob Dylan can do whatever the bejeezus he wants. He's made more albums than America has had presidents, he's transformed rock in the process, and in his later years he's almost singlehandedly sustained the fashion relevance of the bolo tie. No one should object if the old man just wants to go out to the woodshed and play some blues.

Longtime fans and neophytes will all probably be grateful for the economical punch provided by "Together Through Life," the bard's new studio effort, to be released without further ado April 28. Overtaken by a gush of inspiration after penning "Life Is Hard," a Django Reinhardt-kissed meditation on loneliness, for the upcoming Olivier Dahan film "My Own Love Song," Dylan wrote this bunch of fairly direct and visceral tunes. He enlisted some buddies -- an interview with scribe Bill Flanagan on Dylan's website mentions Tom Petty's longtime guitarist Mike Campbell and Los Lobos cofounder David Hidalgo -- and hit on a sound that returns to -- and refreshes -- the roots of rock and roll.

I was lucky enough to attend a listening session Thursday night, where I sat on a comfy sofa in front of a good sound system and scribbled down some notes on the 10-song set. I got one listen. Here's a quick response.

"Beyond Here Lies Nothin' ": Hidalgo's accordion is Dylan's muse throughout this album. The instrument turns what would be Jimmy Reed-style blues into something more wide-ranging: a celebration of the Latin influence that also shaped early rock. There's something Leonard Cohen-esque about Dylan's lyric, which is deeply existential and exceedingly debonair.

"Life is Hard": Dylan apparently loved Dahan's Edith Piaf story "La Vie en Rose," and agreed to pen this song for the filmmaker's "My Own Love Song." It has a French feel, with a guitar line redolent of le jazz hot and sly references to a boulevard of broken dreams. Dylan's sad "Sea of Love," it represents him as a slightly cracked crooner.

"My Wife's Home Town": Enter the Devil Woman, a dangerous central character of the blues. The wifey is from down under, and I don't mean Australia. This one is pure Howlin' Wolf. Dylan's chuckle at the end might be the best part.

"If You Ever Go to Houston": It's not that this circular walking blues sounds like Dylan's "It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry," but there's a similar feeling in that 1965 composition. Hidalgo's accordion shines sunlight on everything. The lyric has a Wild West feel, with oblique references to the history of the town in its name.

"Forgetful Heart": The album's most mystical cut could have fit on 1997's "Time Out of Mind," with a somewhat muted atmosphere and a last line that recalls Edgar Allan Poe -- "the door has closed forevermore / if there ever was a door." A banjo plaintively calls out from deep in the mix.

"Jolene": This bar-band romp imagines the "other woman" immortalized in Dolly Parton's 1973 hit as a street-strutting queen for whom any man would leave any wife. "You're something nice, I"m gonna grab my dice," chortles the satyr as a down-home double-guitar riff propels him forward.

"This Dream of You": Dylan does mariachi! The most obviously Latin-flavored track on an album that testifies to Mexican America's right to sing the blues. Is that a slack-key guitar in there, too?

"Shake, Shake Mama": This one does just what the title says. A loud, abrupt blues with a little bit of gospel in the lyric, it  brings to mind one of Chicago's last men standing, Otis Rush.

"I Feel a Change Coming On": The title seems to nod at the Obama era, but this country-tinged song is at once more universal and more personal -- a meditation on sunsets, both real and imagined. Dylan sings in a honking baritone that celebrates the rips in his vocal cords. And there's harmonica.

"It's All Good": "Throw on the dust! Pile on the dust!" Dylan shouts in this apocalypse party of a song. Sharp guitar lines and one of the album's fastest tempos gives the band a chance to fade out on a high note. Dylan's final word: Enjoy this world, even as it descends into chaos. In fact, especially enjoy the chaos.

-- Ann Powers

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

-Homer Simpson

Utloggad 2gruv

• Precious Angel
  • Antal inlägg: 2318
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #106 skrivet: 28 mars, 2009, 16:45:23 »
Snyggt omslag till Beyond Here Lies Nothin'
Ser ut att vara scengolvet. Coolt  :d2:

å jag hade heller inte tänkt lyssna, men jag gjorde det ändå-
Å helt plötsligt fick jag förväntningar, höga förväntningar

Det är tur att tiden befinner sig i fritt fall, så snart är vi där  :d2: :party:
Lord, have mercy, mama. It sure is good to see you comin' today

Utloggad Elston

• Precious Angel
  • Antal inlägg: 6925
    • MSN Messenger - elstongunnn@hotmail.com
    • Visa profil
    • Myspace
    • E-post
« Svar #107 skrivet: 29 mars, 2009, 21:32:28 »
Men är det ingen mer som i detta hör "Black magic woman"?
Och inget fel i det   -_-
Beyond the horizon, the sky is so blue
I've got more than a lifetime to live loving you

Utloggad psignell

• Hobo
  • Antal inlägg: 66
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #108 skrivet: 29 mars, 2009, 22:16:23 »
Oooops, vilka förväntningar man fick av detta nu då, låter ju rysligt bra alltså...fylligheten....och rösten.....

Utloggad lundell

• Landlord
  • Antal inlägg: 494
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #109 skrivet: 30 mars, 2009, 07:00:34 »
Nu finns "Beyond Here Lies Nothin´" på den officiella hemsidan.

Jag gillar den, gunget, rytmen. Dylans oförliknerliga text. Den växer med varje lyssning! Om denna sång representerar skivan blir det riktigt roligt om några veckor :party: :party:

Det är en synnerligen rolig Bobvår vi Bobfans går till mötes!

Utloggad Tobias

• Precious Angel
  • Antal inlägg: 6016
    • Visa profil
    • Last.fm
    • E-post
« Svar #110 skrivet: 30 mars, 2009, 07:47:58 »

Jag gillar den, gunget, rytmen. Dylans oförliknerliga text. Den växer med varje lyssning! Om denna sång representerar skivan blir det riktigt roligt om några veckor :party: :party:

Kul! Jag trodde den skulle göras tillgänglig först i kväll, men nu kunde jag inleda hela veckan med denna låt. Det hade funnits sämre många sätt att inleda den. Låten är riktigt bra och lär spisas en hel del hos mig framöver.
"Trying is the first step towards failure."

-Homer Simpson

Utloggad 2gruv

• Precious Angel
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #111 skrivet: 30 mars, 2009, 09:28:22 »
hmmmm

Ömsom vin, sång, text dragspel, ömsom vatten, det lama gitarrliret och arret som iofs kan växa, men det lika gärna lägga sig på rygg
Men det ger mersmak, jag vill ha skivan NU

JANNE

• Gäst
« Svar #112 skrivet: 30 mars, 2009, 09:31:17 »
Lyssnade på låten i morse och som sagt, den gav rejäl mersmak.

Utloggad Bengt

• Precious Angel
  • Antal inlägg: 1950
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #113 skrivet: 30 mars, 2009, 09:49:46 »
Mersmak var ordet !  :d2:

Antar att låten är 1:a på plattan, och då borde det ju ligga en hel del fler goa bitar bakom  :rolleyes:.

Längtar...

Utloggad lundell

• Landlord
  • Antal inlägg: 494
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #114 skrivet: 30 mars, 2009, 09:51:44 »
Beyond Here Lies Nothing

Oh well, I love you pretty baby
You're the only love I've ever known
Just as long as you stay with me
The whole world is my throne
Beyond here lies nothin'
Nothin' we can call our own

Well, I'm movin' after midnight
Down boulevards of broken cars
Don't know what I'd do without it
Without this love that we call ours
Beyond here lies nothin'
Nothin' but the moon and stars

Down every street there's a window
And every window's made of glass
We'll keep on lovin' pretty baby
For as long as love will last
Beyond here lies nothin'
But the mountains of the past

Well, my ship is in the harbor
And the sails are spread
Listen to me, pretty baby
Lay your hand upon my head
Beyond here lies nothin'
Nothin' done and nothin' said

Utloggad Elston

• Precious Angel
    • Visa profil
    • Myspace
    • E-post
« Svar #115 skrivet: 30 mars, 2009, 10:42:43 »

Kul! Jag trodde den skulle göras tillgänglig först i kväll, men nu kunde jag inleda hela veckan med denna låt. Det hade funnits sämre många sätt att inleda den. Låten är riktigt bra och lär spisas en hel del hos mig framöver.

"spisas" ?!? Det var ett tag sen jag hörde det ordet  -_-

Utloggad Elston

• Precious Angel
    • Visa profil
    • Myspace
    • E-post
« Svar #116 skrivet: 30 mars, 2009, 10:59:59 »
hmmmm

Ömsom vin, sång, text dragspel, ömsom vatten, det lama gitarrliret och arret som iofs kan växa, men det lika gärna lägga sig på rygg

"...lama gitarrliret...? Nääääe, jag älskar gitarrliret! Det måste liksom inte vara Van Halen för att det ska vara bra, tycker jag. Scotty Moore duger utmärkt för mig.
Sen känner jag rätt mycket swamp här, eller vad jag ska säga. Mycket New Orleans. Tror jag ... hmmm ... fint det här  ...   -_-  :mellow:

Utloggad 2gruv

• Precious Angel
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #117 skrivet: 30 mars, 2009, 12:53:25 »
hmmmm

"...lama gitarrliret...? Nääääe, jag älskar gitarrliret! Det måste liksom inte vara Van Halen för att det ska vara bra, tycker jag. Scotty Moore duger utmärkt för mig.
Sen känner jag rätt mycket swamp här, eller vad jag ska säga. Mycket New Orleans. Tror jag ... hmmm ... fint det här  ...   -_-  :mellow:
Gärna Scotty Moore, eller nån annan minimalistisk jäkel som exvis den Freddy du inte gillar Jörgen, eller Robbie R om vi går riktigt långt tillbaka bland Bobs gitarrister. Ta till exempel solot i Hollis Brown från Oakland -74. Det är nåt att berätta för brorsbarnen om...

Utloggad egoBen

• Precious Angel
  • Antal inlägg: 3464
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #118 skrivet: 30 mars, 2009, 14:05:17 »
Beyond here låter fantastisk! Jag vill ha hela skivan och ligga hemma och lyssna hela dagen lång! Jippie vad kul!

Utloggad Elston

• Precious Angel
    • Visa profil
    • Myspace
    • E-post
« Svar #119 skrivet: 30 mars, 2009, 14:05:44 »
Här föreligger ett missförstånd, eller ett missminne. Jag ääääääääälskar Freddy!