Författare Ämne: Bootleg Series vol. 14  (läst 2596 gånger)

Utloggad Anders S

• Global Moderator
  • Precious Angel
  • Antal inlägg: 4263
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
SV: Bootleg Series vol. 14
« Svar #15 skrivet: 11 september, 2018, 17:55:19 »
Klippt från ISIS  :ph34r:
The release date for “More Blood, More Tracks” looks like being the first week in November, either the 2nd or 9th. As stated in the August issue of ISIS, the deluxe edition will contain six discs. There are no tracks here that are new to us. There is only one surprise, if you can call it a surprise, that’s not listed in the usual session discographies (Bjorner, Dundas). If anyone was hoping for a truckload of exotic “Red Book” songs you will be disappointed. The bulk of the book notes are written by Jeff Slate. The box set will be reviewed in the November editions of Uncut and Mojo.
I'm looking for a place that's going to animal my soul,
knit my return, bathe my foot, and collect my dog.
Commission me to sell my animal to the bird to clip
and buy my bath and return me back to the cigarette!

Utloggad Anders S

• Global Moderator
  • Precious Angel
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #16 skrivet: 12 september, 2018, 13:10:54 »
There is only one surprise, if you can call it a surprise, that’s not listed in the usual session discographies (Bjorner, Dundas).

Skulle kunna vara "Spanish is the Loving Tongue", som varken Björner, Dundas eller Heylin nämner. Men i "The Basement Tapes - Track-by-Track" av Ben Rollins skriver han:
Citera
14. Spanish is the Loving Tongue
(Traditional, Arranged by Bob Dylan)

A traditional song based on a poem written by cowboy poet Charles Badger Clark in 1907, this is one of the songs Dylan has returned to again and again throughout his career. This is Dylan’s first known taping of this song. He would release another performance for the first time in 1971 as the “B” side of the single, “Watching the River Flow.” He would record it again but not release it during the sessions for Blood on the Tracks.

Eller också är det någon helt annan låt...  :party:

Utloggad Anders S

• Global Moderator
  • Precious Angel
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #17 skrivet: 13 september, 2018, 16:25:52 »
Clinton Heylin...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVOCFBx7G7c

Trailer for Clinton Heylin's monograph, 'No One Else Could Play That Tune: The Making and Unmaking of Bob Dylan’s 1974 Masterpiece', a study of the New York recording sessions for the album 'Blood on the Tracks'.

This is a title in the Wanted Man Study Series: Take II - Vol. 1

Published by Route

Details here: http://www.route-online.com/all-books/no-one-else-could-play-that-tune.html

Utloggad bobi

• Precious Angel
  • Antal inlägg: 2110
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #18 skrivet: 13 september, 2018, 18:26:12 »
Ny BS med utmärkt period i november. Det blir bra! :d5:

Utloggad Anders S

• Global Moderator
  • Precious Angel
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #19 skrivet: 15 september, 2018, 17:28:43 »
Det verkar som att BS 14 kommer att släppas som en 6-cd box (som väntat), och även, mindre väntat, som en singel-cd (2 LP)!
Singel-cdn kommer vara en alternativ version av BOTT...

Åtminstone om ska tro på ryktena på Steve Hoffmans forum  :party:

Citera
there will be an ‘alternate’ version of the album (cd and presumably vinyl) in addition to the 6 cd set. Whether this will be a straight version of the acetate as we know it or a version entirely from alternate takes, again I don’t know.

Citera
Tracklist for the 6cd set is known to a few people but unfortunately I don’t have the final tracklist myself and haven’t seen a tracklist for the single(?) cd version yet. Just been told it’s an ‘alternate version’ (paraphrase)
I’d be surprised if a tracklist and artwork doesn’t either leak or get officially released by the end of next week.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/bob-dylan-bootleg-series-vol-14.613131/page-165

Utloggad Anders S

• Global Moderator
  • Precious Angel
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #20 skrivet: 16 september, 2018, 12:01:40 »
There is only one surprise, if you can call it a surprise, that’s not listed in the usual session discographies (Bjorner, Dundas).

Skulle kunna vara "Spanish is the Loving Tongue", som varken Björner, Dundas eller Heylin nämner. Men i "The Basement Tapes - Track-by-Track" av Ben Rollins skriver han:
Citera
14. Spanish is the Loving Tongue
(Traditional, Arranged by Bob Dylan)

A traditional song based on a poem written by cowboy poet Charles Badger Clark in 1907, this is one of the songs Dylan has returned to again and again throughout his career. This is Dylan’s first known taping of this song. He would release another performance for the first time in 1971 as the “B” side of the single, “Watching the River Flow.” He would record it again but not release it during the sessions for Blood on the Tracks.

Eller också är det någon helt annan låt...  :party:

Nu sätter jag en slant på att antingen Money Blues eller Abandoned Love kommer att finnas med på Bootleg Series vol. 14 :party:

Klippt från SH:
A & R Recording
New York City, New York
September 17, 1974, 7 pm-1 am.

Produced by Bob Dylan
Engineers: Phil & Lenn

4. ? Take 1x
5. Blues (incomplete) Take 1x
———————————————————-

Number 5 has NOT been correctly identified in this thread, or anywhere else on the internet. I might be wrong, but it appears it is a familiar (original) song, that Dylan would return to at a later time for another album, then abandon once again. Calling it a ‘blues’ is accurate. Obviously as it’s an original song, the actual title was unknown at the time that the studio log was written down.

Båda låtarna spelades ju in följande sommar, men ratades på "Desire".

Lutar mest åt att det är Money Blues  :ph34r:
« Senast ändrad: 16 september, 2018, 12:24:48 av Anders S »

Utloggad Tobias

• Precious Angel
  • Antal inlägg: 5826
    • Visa profil
    • Last.fm
    • E-post
« Svar #21 skrivet: 16 september, 2018, 17:20:12 »
Det verkar som att detta släpp helt och hållet fokuserar på New York-sessionerna i september och inte innehåller någonting från Minneapolis-sessionerna i december. Jag hade gärna hört några alternativa tagningar även från dessa sessioner, men man kan ju inte få allt.
"Trying is the first step towards failure."

-Homer Simpson

Utloggad Anders S

• Global Moderator
  • Precious Angel
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #22 skrivet: 16 september, 2018, 18:10:44 »
Det verkar som att detta släpp helt och hållet fokuserar på New York-sessionerna i september och inte innehåller någonting från Minneapolis-sessionerna i december. Jag hade gärna hört några alternativa tagningar även från dessa sessioner, men man kan ju inte få allt.

Jag hade också gärna hört dessa, men det sägs att inspelningarna (förutom de fem låtarna som kom med på BOTT) gått förlorade.

Det kanske inte är Money Blues utan Catfish, som är den mystiska låten...
Hmmm, any day now, får vi veta  :d2:

Utloggad Anders S

• Global Moderator
  • Precious Angel
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #23 skrivet: 16 september, 2018, 18:51:33 »
Klippt från SH  :mellow:
Ok it turns out the song on the set is ‘Call Letter Blues’ which is identified as ‘Blues’ on the session log. There was a bit of misinformation that it was some kind of prototype version of ‘Catfish’ but it seems this was a mistake. Apologies.

So....we’re still looking at possibly NINE (or a similar figure) previously ‘undocumented’ items (i.e. not listed by Krogsgaard Et al.) on the 6cd set, one of which is a cover song which Derek Barker alluded to. Seems the other 8 (?) come from a particular source tape which accounts for their omission previously. This will become clearer once the tracklist is out.

The focus, as many have said, is very much on the New York Sessions. Some tapes were apparently not found.

Verkar som personen har viss inblick  :party:

Utloggad MattiasH

• Precious Angel
  • Antal inlägg: 582
    • ICQ Messenger - 137264719
    • Visa profil
    • http://
    • E-post
« Svar #24 skrivet: 16 september, 2018, 21:59:02 »
Vad kan detta tänkas innebära, åtta-nio ”undocumented items”? Det kan väl inte vara annat än tagningar av redan bekanta låtar.
Friends will arrive, friends will disappear

Utloggad Anders S

• Global Moderator
  • Precious Angel
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #25 skrivet: 17 september, 2018, 19:40:57 »
Vad kan detta tänkas innebära, åtta-nio ”undocumented items”? Det kan väl inte vara annat än tagningar av redan bekanta låtar.

Ja, åtta-nio ”undocumented items” motsäger ju det som Derek Barker sa för en knapp vecka sedan: "There are no tracks here that are new to us." och "If anyone was hoping for a truckload of exotic “Red Book” songs you will be disappointed."

Vi lär väl snart få veta...

Utloggad Anders S

• Global Moderator
  • Precious Angel
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #26 skrivet: 17 september, 2018, 19:59:56 »
Utdrag från Clinton Heylins kommande bok: No One Else Could Play That Tune: The Making and Unmaking of Bob Dylan’s Masterpiece

Blood on the Tracks New York Sessions | 16 September 1974
https://routepublishing.wordpress.com/2018/09/16/blood-on-the-tracks-new-york-sessions-16-september-1974/

Here was the very place – rebranded, but intact – where Dylan had recorded every official artifact between November 20th, 1961 (Bob Dylan) and January 25th, 1966 (‘One Of Us Must Know’). The sense of historical synergy was not lost on the one reporter diligent enough to reconstruct these sessions in real time. Larry Sloman’s description in his November Rolling Stone piece set the scene perfectly: ‘It looked like old times at Columbia’s A & R Studio September 16th. John Hammond Snr. was there. Phil Ramone was working the board. Eric Weissberg and Barry Kornfeld, two old Gaslight regulars, were unpacking their guitars. And sitting out in the cavernous studio … practically hidden behind a battery of six microphones, Bob Dylan was creating another album. And it was almost as if Dylan were consciously conjuring up the ambience of the early sixties.’

"On 16th September 1974, Bob Dylan entered A & R Studios in New York to begin recording ‘Blood on the Tracks’. The studio was of course the magical place where he recorded his first 6 albums. His original producer John Hammond joined him in the studio on this night, an ‘historic moment’ for them both. Bob warmed up solo, recording 6 songs over 10 takes. He was then joined by Eric Weissberg’s band Deliverance, tackling 4 songs in 13 takes. One of these – ‘Meet Me In The Morning’ – made it through to the final cut of ‘Blood on the Tracks’ and another – ‘Call Letter Blues’ – was later released on Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3. But it was the attempts of ‘Idiot Wind’ and ‘Tangled Up In Blue’ with just Bob and Deliverance bass player Tony Brown that would ultimately set the tone for the rest of the album…"

Blood on the Tracks New York Sessions | 17 September 1974
https://routepublishing.wordpress.com/2018/09/17/blood-on-the-tracks-new-york-sessions-17-september-1974/

I got a call the [ following] afternoon from a woman, who I believe worked for Columbia, telling me to come in for that evening’s session. I remember asking her if she had called Eric about this, and she replied something like, ‘No, Bob just wants you.’ … I was almost a bit surprised they called me back, because I did not think the first day had gone well. – Tony Brown

"On 17th September 1974, Bob Dylan was back in A & R Studios in New York for the second day of recording Blood on the Tracks. The feel for the album’s sound was starting to take shape, with bass player Tony Brown the only member of Deliverance invited back for the session. Keyboardist Paul Griffin came in to try organ and piano on a few takes, sometimes with Brown, sometimes without. There was a change in the assistant engineer’s chair too, Glenn Berger who had sat in the chair on the 16th had moved next door to work with Mick Jagger on mixing a Rolling Stones live tape for radio broadcast. His chair was taken up by Rich Blakin.

In all there was less than half the takes of the previous day, but the session was no less productive. Five songs intended for the album were attempted over 13 takes, plus one warm-up cover. From this session, the fourth take of ‘Shelter From The Storm’ and the third take of ‘You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go’ made it all the way to the released album. The second take of ‘You’re A Big Girl Now’ was released later on Biograph and the second take of ‘Tangled Up In Blue’ was released on Bootleg Series Vol 1-3. An edited version of the first take of ‘Shelter From the Storm’ recorded this day featured on the soundtrack to the film Jerry Maguire.

By the end of the day, all 12 songs in consideration for the album had been attempted."

Blood on the Tracks New York Sessions | 18 September 1974
https://routepublishing.wordpress.com/2018/09/18/blood-on-the-tracks-new-york-sessions-18-september-1974/

By the next afternoon, Dylan was not so sure of himself and all he had wrought. As they began to mix songs from the master reels, a few takes fell foul of the review process, perhaps reflecting a darker mood on Dylan’s part.

On 18th September 1974, Bob Dylan was back in A & R Studios in New York for the third day of recording Blood on the Tracks. Engineer and studio chief Phil Ramone was busy mixing tracks pulled to master from the previous two days, and pedal steel player Buddy Cage was brought in to add overdubs on a few of the takes. As far as recording goes, this was the least productive day of the four. Bob had a go at recording ‘Buckets of Rain’ under the gaze of Mick Jagger in the control room, but abandoned it after four attempts. He left the studio early to go watch a concert and think about what he needed to do the following day to get the album he was hearing in his head.
« Senast ändrad: 18 september, 2018, 19:53:22 av Anders S »

Utloggad Leif

• Precious Angel
  • Antal inlägg: 4123
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #27 skrivet: 18 september, 2018, 22:49:08 »

Ja, åtta-nio ”undocumented items” motsäger ju det som Derek Barker sa för en knapp vecka sedan: "There are no tracks here that are new to us." och "If anyone was hoping for a truckload of exotic “Red Book” songs you will be disappointed."

Vi lär väl snart få veta...

Det här kommer att bli bra hur det än blir. Det är ju "bleedin" Blood on the Tracks, för bövelen!  ^_^ :d5:
The man in me will hide sometimes to keep from bein seen.
But that's just because he doesn't want to turn into some machine.

Utloggad JanneS

• A Friend To The Poor
  • Antal inlägg: 154
    • Visa profil
« Svar #28 skrivet: 19 september, 2018, 09:17:41 »
Här är en låtlista, utan närmare info, från amazon.co.uk:

Disc: 1
  1. If You See Her, Say Hello
  2. If You See Her, Say Hello
  3. You're a Big Girl Now
  4. You're a Big Girl Now
  5. Simple Twist of Fate
  6. Simple Twist of Fate
  7. You're a Big Girl Now
  8. Up to Me
  9. Up to Me
  10. Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  11. Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts

Disc: 2
  1. Simple Twist of Fate
  2. Simple Twist of Fate
  3. Simple Twist of Fate
  4. Call Letter Blues
  5. Meet Me in the Morning
  6. Call Letter Blues
  7. Idiot Wind
  8. Idiot Wind
  9. Idiot Wind
  10. Idiot Wind
  11. Idiot Wind
  12. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
  13. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
  14. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
  15. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
  16. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
  17. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
  18. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
  19. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
  20. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go

Disc: 3
  1. Tangled Up in Blue
  2. You're a Big Girl Now
  3. You're a Big Girl Now
  4. Tangled Up in Blue
  5. Tangled Up in Blue
  6. Spanish Is the Loving Tongue
  7. Call Letter Blues
  8. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
  9. Shelter from the Storm
  10. Buckets of Rain
  11. Tangled Up in Blue
  12. Buckets of Rain
  13. Shelter from the Storm
  14. Shelter from the Storm
  15. Shelter from the Storm

Disc: 4
  1. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
  2. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
  3. Buckets of Rain
  4. Buckets of Rain
  5. Buckets of Rain
  6. Buckets of Rain
  7. Up to Me
  8. Up to Me
  9. Buckets of Rain
  10. Buckets of Rain
  11. Buckets of Rain
  12. Buckets of Rain
  13. If You See Her, Say Hello
  14. Up to Me
  15. Up to Me
  16. Up to Me
  17. Buckets of Rain
  18. Meet Me in the Morning
  19. Meet Me in the Morning
  20. Buckets of Rain

Disc: 5
  1. Tangled Up in Blue
  2. Tangled Up in Blue
  3. Tangled Up in Blue
  4. Simple Twist of Fate
  5. Simple Twist of Fate
  6. Up to Me
  7. Up to Me
  8. Idiot Wind
  9. Idiot Wind
  10. Idiot Wind
  11. You're a Big Girl Now
  12. Meet Me in the Morning
  13. Meet Me in the Morning

Disc: 6
  1. You're a Big Girl Now
  2. Tangled Up in Blue
  3. Tangled Up in Blue
  4. Idiot Wind
  5. You're a Big Girl Now
  6. Tangled up in Blue
  7. Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  8. If You See Her, Say Hello

Utloggad Tobias

• Precious Angel
  • Antal inlägg: 5826
    • Visa profil
    • Last.fm
    • E-post
« Svar #29 skrivet: 19 september, 2018, 10:57:24 »
Ser bra ut. Förmodligen är sista skivan Minneapolis-inspelningar, trots vad som tidigare sagts om att de inte ska vara med.
Det kommer också en nedskalad version som släpps som enkel-cd och dubbel-lp, med följande låtlista:

Tangled Up in Blue
Simple Twist of Fate
Shelter from the Storm
You're a Big Girl Now
Buckets of Rain
If You See Her, Say Hello
Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
Meet Me in the Morning
Idiot Wind
You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
Up to Me

Jag tror jag kommer att skaffa både deluxen och den nedskalade utgåvan.
"Trying is the first step towards failure."

-Homer Simpson