Författare Ämne: Together Through Life  (läst 165778 gånger)

Utloggad 2gruv

• Precious Angel
  • Antal inlägg: 2318
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
SV: Together Through Life
« Svar #30 skrivet: 17 mars, 2009, 09:24:33 »
På tal om något nästan helt annat så stänger nu snart Mega vid "plattan" i Sthlm, "tappat andelar till nätförsäljning" osv.
Hörde om det där för några veckor sen och hörde mig för när jag var nere och köpte lite vinyl som dom sålde ut (bl.a helt u.ä. John Stewarts Willard, fantastisk jävla skiva...) men då verkade det som det kunde blivit snabbare evakuering än den siste mars, och utan rea. Nu blir det ju i alla fall månaden ut, och kanske kan man plocka upp några av deras mer obskyra nummer för ett gott pris...
« Senast ändrad: 17 mars, 2009, 09:33:11 av 2gruv »
Lord, have mercy, mama. It sure is good to see you comin' today

Utloggad Tobias

• Precious Angel
  • Antal inlägg: 6016
    • Visa profil
    • Last.fm
    • E-post
« Svar #31 skrivet: 17 mars, 2009, 10:31:14 »
Jag tyckte namnet Bill Flanagan verkade bekant i Dylan-sammanhang och mycket riktigt har han intervjuat Dylan förut, för en bok kallad "Written In My Soul" (en bekant fras). Denna bok innehåller intervjuer med en lång rad artister och jag sträckläste den för ett antal år sedan. Dylan-intervjun i den boken har välförtjänt blivit något av en klassiker, med en ovanligt öppen och talför Dylan. Den finns återgiven här:
http://www.interferenza.com/bcs/interw/85-mar.htm

"Maybe what's most surprising about Bob Dylan is that once you connect with his vision, everything he says makes sense."
"Trying is the first step towards failure."

-Homer Simpson

Utloggad 650918

• A Friend To The Poor
  • Antal inlägg: 227
  • "He not busy being born is busy dying"
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #32 skrivet: 17 mars, 2009, 13:45:24 »
Men vi har ju ofta musiken nu också. Det är tråkigt. Man kan ju alltid hålla sig, men hur många gör det, om man kan höra små smakprover både här och där.
Denna gång vägrar jag nätlyssning! Korka upp en vinare den 27 april och skicka iväg fru och barn.
Micke B.

Utloggad Anders S

• Global Moderator
  • Precious Angel
  • Antal inlägg: 4582
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #33 skrivet: 17 mars, 2009, 14:48:32 »
Är det någon som läst Larry Brown?

New Dylan Cover... What's It Mean?
March 16th, 2009 -  By John Lewis

Reporting on the upcoming Bob Dylan CD, Together Through Life, the folks at Pitchfork are speculating that the cover is "sure-to-be-scrutinized." Well, no kidding. When considering any Dylan release, that's the one thing you can be certain of—it will be scrutinized. And not just the cover, also the title, lyrics, song titles, choice of musicians, liner notes, etc.

And I'm sure fans will read various meanings into that cover photo. Is it somehow tied to the new Renee Zellweger film, My Own Love Song? Dylan wrote a song for the soundtrack and doing so reportedly stoked a creative burst that resulted in the new recording. Is the photo somehow related to the film? Nope.

Is it some commentary on aging? After all, Dylan's now 67, and it's probably been awhile since he made out in the backseat of a car—although we can't be too sure of that. But that's probably not it, either.

Actually, the photo is a sly homage to Larry Brown, the Mississippi novelist who passed away in 2004.

That very same shot, taken by Bruce Davidson, also graced the cover of the paperback edition of Big Bad Love, a collection of Brown's short stories.

Dylan was a huge fan of Brown's.

My buddy Jim Dickinson (who played on Time Out of Mind) once told me that while visiting with Dylan some years ago, Dylan asked if he knew Brown. Dickinson, who was a friend of Brown's, asked why he wanted to know. "I've read every word the man's ever written," Dylan replied.

I'm not sure if Dylan ever went public with his admiration of Brown's work, but this may be it. The smart money says Larry Brown inspired the new CD cover.

Hur sant detta är törs jag inte gissa, men lite intressant är det iaf. Jag gissar att vi snart får veta om Bob lånat några rader ur Browns böcker...  :mellow:

Info om Larry Brown: Wikipedia och Washington Post

edit: fixade länk och citat
« Senast ändrad: 17 mars, 2009, 15:55:33 av Anders Söderberg »
I'm looking for a place that's going to animal my soul,
knit my return, bathe my foot, and collect my dog.
Commission me to sell my animal to the bird to clip
and buy my bath and return me back to the cigarette!

Utloggad CharliePalm

• A Friend To The Poor
  • Antal inlägg: 142
    • MSN Messenger - Charliepalm@hotmail.com
    • Visa profil
    • http://www.bobdylan.com
    • E-post
« Svar #34 skrivet: 17 mars, 2009, 15:38:51 »

Blev mycket nöjd med mig själv när jag kände igen bilden från No Direction Home. Men vid närmare eftertanke inget att skryta med då, jag sett den där filmen alldeles för många gånger. I övrigt väldigt nöjd med omslaget på nya plattan. Dock lite frustrerande att kunna se skivan framför sig, en månad innan man får höra den...
Come on, give it to me, I'll keep it with mine.

Utloggad bobi

• Precious Angel
  • Antal inlägg: 2127
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #35 skrivet: 17 mars, 2009, 16:10:47 »
Jag betraktar referensen till Brown som klart plausibel. Hyfsad logik.
Väl mött,
bobi :wub:

Utloggad Jack Fate

• Landlord
  • Antal inlägg: 491
    • Visa profil
« Svar #36 skrivet: 17 mars, 2009, 16:27:32 »
Kul grej med Larry Brown. Såg att boken fanns på bibblan.
Citera
Är det någon som läst Larry Brown?
...eller någon som har sett filmen? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0260746/

"Don't let me change my heart,
Keep me set apart
From all the plans they do pursue.
And I, I don't mind the pain
Don't mind the driving rain
I know I will sustain
'Cause I believe in you."

Utloggad Humlan

• Precious Angel
  • Antal inlägg: 8072
    • Visa profil
« Svar #37 skrivet: 17 mars, 2009, 20:57:29 »
Sorry kunde bara inte låta bli ;-P http://web.comhem.se/nought/O0x1p.htm
±→H4n→~ https://www.instagram.com/joakim.humleback/

"But power and greed and corruptible seed Seem to be all that there is"

"Since the legalization, Monsanto has charged Brazilian farmers 2% of their sales of Roundup Ready soya beans, which now account for an estimated 85% of the nations soyabean"

Utloggad AndersG

• Precious Angel
  • Antal inlägg: 3628
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #38 skrivet: 17 mars, 2009, 20:59:59 »
Politics is entertainment. It's a sport. It's for the well groomed and well heeled. The impeccably dressed. Party animals. Politicians are interchangeable.

Utloggad Humlan

• Precious Angel
  • Antal inlägg: 8072
    • Visa profil
« Svar #39 skrivet: 17 mars, 2009, 21:06:29 »
±→H4n→~ https://www.instagram.com/joakim.humleback/

"But power and greed and corruptible seed Seem to be all that there is"

"Since the legalization, Monsanto has charged Brazilian farmers 2% of their sales of Roundup Ready soya beans, which now account for an estimated 85% of the nations soyabean"

Utloggad MattiasH

• Precious Angel
  • Antal inlägg: 595
    • ICQ Messenger - 137264719
    • Visa profil
    • http://
    • E-post
« Svar #40 skrivet: 17 mars, 2009, 21:34:18 »
Friends will arrive, friends will disappear

Utloggad Offe

• Landlord
  • Antal inlägg: 347
    • MSN Messenger - rtot@hotmail.com
    • Visa profil
« Svar #41 skrivet: 17 mars, 2009, 21:47:26 »
Nu har Allan Jones på Uncut lyssnat på plattan:
http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/index.php?blog=5&p=1120&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#more1120

"Together In Life gets in your face immediately – with the wallop of the cheerfully-titled “Beyond Here Lies Nothin’”, which is driven by spectacular drumming and massed horns, a trumpet prominently featured – and over the course of its 10 tracks doesn’t back off, doesn’t appear to even think about doing so, Dylan’s voice throughout an unfettered roar, a splendid growl."

Ge mig April nu!
When you're with me, I'm a thousand times happier than I could ever say.

Utloggad 650918

• A Friend To The Poor
  • Antal inlägg: 227
  • "He not busy being born is busy dying"
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #42 skrivet: 17 mars, 2009, 21:52:09 »
http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/index.php?blog=5&p=1120&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#more1120

Premiärlyssning hemma hos oss igen, Mattias?
Micke B.

Utloggad Anders S

• Global Moderator
  • Precious Angel
  • Antal inlägg: 4582
    • Visa profil
    • E-post
« Svar #43 skrivet: 17 mars, 2009, 21:57:29 »

Tack för länken, Mattias  :d2:

Tar mig friheten att klippa in artikeln i sin helhet:

Citera

Uncut Hears The New Bob Dylan Album
2009-03-17 17:15:33
We now know that the new Bob Dylan album, which unexpectedly will be with us on April 27, is called Together Through Life. We know also that it was written and recorded quickly.

Continued...

Dylan had been asked by the French film director Olivier Dahan, who made the Edith Piaf biopic, La Vie En Rose, which Dylan had apparently liked, to write some songs for his new movie, My Own Love Song. Dylan duly came up with a ballad called “Life Is Hard”, and was so inspired the next thing anyone knew he’d written nine more new songs and not long after that – bingo! – here’s Together Through Life in all its rowdy glory.

What’s it sound like? Well, early reports have hinted at a mix of Dylan’s beloved Chicago blues and the loping border country feel of, say, “Girl From The Red River Shore”, the latter courtesy of Los Lobos’ David Hidalgo, whose accordion features on every track, alongside Dylan’s formidable current touring band and as yet unidentified guest musicians.

Both musical elements are indeed here, brazenly matched on nearly ever track, Hidalgo either providing lyrical lilting counterpoint to the band’s hard driving blues muscle or flinging himself headlong into the fray with pumping riffs, as on the jumping “If You Ever Go To Houston” (“keep your hands in your pockets and your gun-belts tied”).

The broad template for much of the album would appear to be, let’s say, “Thunder On the Mountain” and “Rollin’ And Tumblin’” from Modern Times, but in truth these tracks are, overall, much punchier, a raucous edge to everything in sight. Only the noble “Life Is Hard” is in the crooning style of something like “Beyond The Horizon” and even here there’s a ragged edge to things that wasn’t apparent on Modern Times, a rawness – emotional and musical – that separates it from that album and its immediate predecessors, “Love And Theft” and Time Out Of Mind.

Together In Life gets in your face immediately – with the wallop of the cheerfully-titled “Beyond Here Lies Nothin’”, which is driven by spectacular drumming and massed horns, a trumpet prominently featured – and over the course of its 10 tracks doesn’t back off, doesn’t appear to even think about doing so, Dylan’s voice throughout an unfettered roar, a splendid growl.

The album broadly is preoccupied with themes of mortality, lost love, grief, the passing of time, memory, waning days and lonely nights. The mood of these songs, however, couldn’t be more different to the mordant reflection of, for instance, “Not Dark Yet”. Together Through Life is a rowdy gut-bucket, by turns angry, funny, sassy, Dylan heading noisily in the direction of that last good night.

“My Wife’s Home Town”, “Shake Mama Shake” and the stingingly ironic “It’s All Good” – an hilariously-wrought litany of personal and national woe – are all eventfully robust, heartily defiant.

“Forgetful Heart”, meanwhile, is set to a measured stalking beat that recalls “Walkin’, Not Talkin’”, while the cantina drift of “This Dream Of You”, with accordion and fiddle taking lead instrumental spots, is fleetingly reminiscent of the first version of “Mississippi” on last year’s Tell-Tale Signs. Elsewhere, there may be things about “Feel A Change Coming On” that will remind you of “Workingman’s Blues”.

On first listen, then, a great album that when it comes out and goes on repeat will get better and better.

Allan Jones
I'm looking for a place that's going to animal my soul,
knit my return, bathe my foot, and collect my dog.
Commission me to sell my animal to the bird to clip
and buy my bath and return me back to the cigarette!

Utloggad Elston

• Precious Angel
  • Antal inlägg: 6925
    • MSN Messenger - elstongunnn@hotmail.com
    • Visa profil
    • Myspace
    • E-post
« Svar #44 skrivet: 17 mars, 2009, 22:22:32 »
Dragspel och trumpet, herrejösses ...   :party:
Beyond the horizon, the sky is so blue
I've got more than a lifetime to live loving you